Third Sunday of Advent 2013
Because Christmas is almost here
Because dancing fits so well with music
Because inside baby clothes are miracles.
Because some people love you
Because of chocolate
Because pain does not last forever
Because Santa Claus is coming.
Because of laughter
Because there really are angels
Because your fingers fit your hands
Because forgiveness is yours for the asking
Because of children
Because of parents.
Because the blind see.
And the lame walk.
Because lepers are clean
And the deaf hear.
Because the dead will live again
And there is good news for the poor.
Because of Christmas
Because of Jesus
– Brad Reynolds, S.J.
"Gaudete," which is the Latin word for "rejoice," is the Third Sunday in Advent. Brad Reynolds, S.J., a photographer and artist in residence at Gonzaga University, Spokane, Wash., is also the author of several mystery novels. His poem is taken from America; The National Catholic Weekly (December 11, 2006).
1. Read the poem aloud. Pay attention to the words, the sounds, the punctuation and what you are hearing in the poem. 2. Now read the poem silently and slowly letting the poem reveal new truths. As you listen again notice which words or phrases catch your attention. Underline them.
3. Journal your thoughts or impressions:
• What new ways of seeing or hearing are opening for you in this poem?
• What truth do you hear in the poem that intersects with the unfolding of your life?
• What parts of the poem call you to be present or to see in an entirely different way?
• How does this poem reflect or resonate with your own experience? What insights does it spark?